Friday, September 28, 2018

Me too, Jane, too?

On a flight to Las Vegas, Nevada, my destination before heading to Bullhead, Arizona, and an interview with Jane Street’s grandson. I have waited all year for this opportunity. The trip is certainly refreshing after watching the drama this week regarding the Judge Brett Kavanaugh hearings. I wept during testimonies—for both individuals. I, like most everyone else, felt drained and saddened.

Have you noticed all the women who have “come out” to claim “me too”? Fact is, if you ask women close to my age if they have had some sort of real or perceived sexual harassment, assault or attack, many, if not most, will say yes. And with good reason. Perhaps this is because women have become increasingly empowered since my generation, the “burning-bra” era, as society finally confirmed that certain behaviors were not okay. Change has been slow, but change has happened.

I, like many women, have experiential responses when I hear stories of sexual assault. I recall sexual harassment on the job where I worked as a receptionist (except when I was expected to serve my boss his coffee twice-a-day). I endured sexual innuendos, wolf whistles (wait, I admit I miss those), and embarrassing confrontations. When I finally complained about a particular sexual advance to the aggressor himself, I was “let go” two weeks before I was already scheduled to quit.

I was also a GuyRex product, a beauty queen, a Miss Texas contestant, who modeled her body in swimsuit several times. Although I don’t recall shame, I do recall a stupid interview question about whom I would most desire to date, from a grinning Dallas-Cowboy-quarterback panel member, expecting to hear his name. I was ashamed to have been thus questioned when I could cite every fact about the city I was representing. True, I put myself in that situation. The Miss Texas/Miss Universe was admittedly a “meat” contest, unlike the Miss America-Miss Texas contest that paid for my college education. (Piano, everyone. I know you just wondered.)

Sixty years ago, I was sexually abused, and I can remember everything. The summer smells of cut-grass, the way our weeping willow looked with its fronds cut like my 1950s’ bangs. I remember his plaid shirt, my brother’s shouts, my parents’ response, or actually lack of appropriate response. Yes, like so many women my age, I am a Me-too-er.

 But I am no victim or survivor--two terms I absolutely abhor. I am a winner.

I am also a proud mother of sons and a wife to a wonderful, loving man. Yet, I fear for them. My sons are white and will grow up, God willing, to become old white men. This is not cut and dry like some want to make the issue—that men need to “shut up,” are predators, cannot be trusted, and their alleged victims too afraid to speak out. Good mothers raise wonderful sons to be good friends to women. Good fathers teach their boys to love and respect women. And, this grandmother will make certain her granddaughter will be strong and never fear speaking out. No wonder I was so drained after watching historical, high drama yesterday. I hurt for both of them and their families.

While listening to the hearing, I was also working on Jane Street and the Housemaid Rebellion: Sex, Syndicalism, and Denver’s Capitol Hill. I rediscovered a letter that Jane wrote to a Mrs. Elmer Bruse in 1917, explaining how she organized the maids. Embedded within the letter Jane confirms being sexually assaulted by men who opposed her organization. (I have other evidence to this fact as well.) She also describes how the house that she rented for maids, who were between jobs and without income, was labeled a prostitution house by local employment agencies who wanted to discredit her maids. Domestics came to her to find work, only to be solicited at the curb. Not only did these agencies publicize that her “club house” was a house of ill-repute, but they tried to pimp helpless, needy girls. Both actions, assaults and sexual solicitations, were acts of aggression, meant to change Jane’s behavior.

What stuck out to me, as the hearing’s senators were trying to decipher a high-school boy’s yearbook braggadocio, was that Jane was not screaming out “Me, too!” She appeared to expect this type of behavior, a form of sabotage. Sad. She warned Mrs. Bruse that “sex can come rushing into your office like a great hurricane and blow all the papers of industrialism out the windows.” Jane patiently explains and accepts that there will be workplace sexual harassment, and perhaps even assault. No woman in 1917 would dream of saying “not me, too.”

Today is different, thank God. In fact, women “have come a long way, baby.” (For my younger female readers, this was part of a cigarette-ad campaign.) Yes, I am Woman (can’t help myself, everyone)! I am not a survivor, but a winner.


And like this Jane, Jane Street never portrays herself as a victim, but one who continued to work aggressively to make a difference.

7 comments:

  1. Excellent commentary and reflective of my sentiments! I too remember an “event” from the 6th year of my life. Kicked that old white man in the shins and ran home to tell my folks. No charges were pressed but my dad had what must have been a very “strong”conversation with the head of that household. There is one other event in my adult life which also cannot be forgotten but I too refused to be a victim in my own way. I’m a mother of sons as well. They are strong and respectful of women because they were taught to be! I am sickened by some who refuse to recognize that in America we are innocent until proven guilty. Politics and extremists may be taking it all away. Sad

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane Little Botkin: "I wept during testimonies—for both individuals."
    "I hurt for both of them..."
    "Yes, like so many women my age, I am a Me-too-er. But I am no victim or survivor--two terms I absolutely abhor. I am a winner."

    Whether you call yourself a winner or a survivor or a victim or using #metoo is completely immaterial to this conversation.

    Every person (female OR male) who is sexually assaulted deals with the event in her or his own way. Using one description is not superior to another description, no matter what you might think.

    Do you find it interesting that Neil Gorsuch never had to deal with the same accusations that are following Brett Kavanaugh? I guarantee that "the Democrats" didn't like Neil Gorsuch any more than they like Brett Kavanaugh.

    In addition, most Democrats thought Neil Gorsuch stole his seat on the Supreme Court. Why were there no made-up sexual assault stories about Neil Gorsuch?

    Did you weep for Brock Turner the way you wept for Brett Kavanaugh?

    Did you feel the same hurt for Brock Turner that you felt for Brett Kavanaugh?

    Does it make a difference to you whether the assault happened in someone's bedroom or behind a dumpster?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy Brunsteter-Diaz: "...in America we are innocent until proven guilty. Politics and extremists may be taking it all away. Sad."

    If you are speaking of Brett Kavanaugh being "found guilty," I remind you that he is not on his way to prison. He is not on trial. Against Brett Kavanaugh's wishes, Donald Trump has asked the FBI to investigate. The FBI will report and MAYBE Brett Kavanaugh will go on trial.

    If there is a trial, ALL of his accusers will testify. If the jury finds Brett Kavanaugh guilty, it will be based on testimoney, not TV pundits or some Internet poll.

    If found guilty, he will most-likely go to prison. He will, at the very least, lose his current job on the bench.

    I should also remind you that lying to the Senate is a felony. If the FBI finds that Brett Kavanaugh lied to the Senate, what do you think should happen to him?

    What ARE politicians and extremists taking away? Here's a clue from this morning's Seattle Times (a newspaper).

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Part of the Seattle Times article, September 29, 2018

    Betsy DeVos is proposing changes to Title IX.

    The changes would narrow a school’s responsibility to respond to sexual misconduct under Title IX, a federal civil-rights law that prohibits gender discrimination in publicly-funded schools.

    The proposals would also allow them to use a higher standard of evidence and mediation for sexual misconduct cases, punish students for reports deemed false, and require cross-examination during hearings.

    DeVos, who rescinded Obama-era guidance last year, has said these changes would make the process more fair to accused students and to schools.

    The leaked draft states that previous guidance lacked clarity about schools’ responsibilities under Title IX, leading accused students to sue their schools and prompting survivors to file complaints to the Office of Civil Rights, which DeVos has said was “weaponized” by the Obama administration.

    Catherine Lhamon, Barack Obama’s assistant secretary for civil rights in the Department of Education, said she’s concerned that DeVos’s changes would allow schools to ignore some reports of sexual misconduct.

    “What we see is that this administration now tips the favor to accused students. We could see a return to the bad old days. This draft offers schools permission to turn away.”

    DeVos would narrow incidents involving students that require school response to sexual assault or sexual harassment “so severe, pervasive, and objectively offensive” it denies access to education, according to the draft.

    Schools would only be found in violation if they don’t respond to formal reports or multiple complaints about the same person made to an official with authority to respond.

    The Obama administration’s Title IX guidance mandated that colleges use the “preponderance of evidence” standard of proof to make determinations in investigations.

    DeVos has allowed schools to use a higher “clear and convincing” standard, which is higher than the Obama standard but still lower than the criminal standard of beyond reasonable doubt. The proposed changes would make this option permanent.

    Shiwali Patel, education senior counsel with the National Women’s Law Center, said false reports are uncommon and the department has failed to show this is a significant problem. A 10-year analysis of sexual-assault reports made to a university found that 5.9 percent were false.

    Patel is also concerned that the proposal would allow both parties to access all obtained evidence, even if it isn’t deemed relevant to the investigation, could allow an accused student to retaliate against a survivor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To all parents in all countries: Instead of teaching your daughters how to NOT BE RAPED, teach your sons how to NOT RAPE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you ladies. Your discourse is so indicative of national conversations. I can only share my reactions to the present situation, which are partly grounded on my personal experiences. I would never assume the same opinions for others. I also think that the Jane Street book will be timely as a historical foundation (without any personal bias) for today's women's and labor studies. Such an important story to be told. My blog posts will never be for political reasons, etc. I respect and listen to all discourse. When I write posts I am expressing my thought processes as I try to make explore connections abt information I discover and what is occurring in my daily life. My blog is not a platform for politics. So, I will not respond to political comments. If readers want the discourse, great! I hope the Jane Street book tells a lot of ugly truths. Thanks ladies!!

    ReplyDelete